Local SEO Checklist 2020: 10 Points to Rank Your Website Locally
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimizing your website to get found by local prospects and customers for the products or services they are looking for. As there is low competition in local as compared to global, this is an effective way to promote business.
Local SEO Checklist 2020
- Optimize Google My Business
- Optimize Title Tags, Header, Meta Description, URLs and Content
- Focus on Internal Linking
- Add and Optimize Location Pages
- Create Local Content
- Make Website Mobile Friendly
- Keep NAP(Name, Address, Phone Number) Consistent
- Build and optimize citations
- Get relevant inbound links from authoritative websites
- Engage with the audience on social media
1. Optimize Google My Business
It’s no secret anymore that Google My business is a key factor to rank your website locally.
Google My Business is a Free listing for all. First, you need to check if your business has any previous listing on GMB. If yes then claim it. Once it gets claimed successfully then you can start to manage business details.
If the listing of your business is not present on the GMB then sign in and start following the procedures. Once done now it time to optimize!
What makes the difference is how well your Google My Business Listing is optimized.
- Consistent with Name, Address and Phone Number(NAP) of your business
- Update information like business name, business location, services areas, business hours
- Choose a relevant business category
- Add subcategories is possible to provide additional details about the business
- Add your website URL with UTM parameters( as https://briefkase.in/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb5&utm_content=primary). This helps you see in Google Analytics how many people visited your website from your GMB listing.
- Add an optimized(having keywords) business description to tell your customers more about your business.
- Add photos and videos of your business to let people know more about your business
- Post content related to products or services that you offers
- Reply to every review within one day whether it’s positive or negative
- If people ask any question then answer it
2. Optimize Title Tags, Header, Meta Description, URLs and Content
People look for a product with a location keyword to find a solution near them. So to get found by these prospects your location-specific pages need to be optimized for geographic location
To optimize your website for local prospects add high volume keywords that are geo-targeted in title tags, meta description, headers, URLs and content.
This will help your website to rank for geo-targeted keywords.
3. Focus on Internal Linking
Internal linking of the pages is very important to crawl the website properly and also helps to boost your SEO rankings.
Why is it important?
- It helps to distribute the link juice among all the pages.
- With internal linkings website gets better navigation.
- It connects the content and gives Google an idea about the website structure.
- It also helps to crawl and index the web pages.
4. Add and Optimize Location Pages
For a single location business, add a well-optimized description (with geo-targeted keywords) on the about us page.
But if your business has multiple locations then you need to create multiple location pages on the website. Each location page must have exact same details as your business have like name, address phone number, opening hours, reviews.
Don’t forget to add all locations in the GMB listing. Also, add a google map to each location page.
5. Create Local Content
Content is very crucial for every business but we have to think differently when we create content for local businesses.
Create content for your audience not for your business only.
Write content for your local prospects to be the authority of your industry locally. Provide information as much as you can that people are searching for.
Create case studies to tell people how successful you are in providing services.
Think about the customer’s point of view, what they want and what interest they have and write accordingly.
6. Make Website Mobile Friendly
Google ranks those websites at the top of the SERP which are mobile-friendly. After the mobilegeddon algorithm update, Google started focusing on giving mobile-friendly websites a boost in smartphone searches because around 52% of traffic on websites comes from mobile devices and the number is increasing year on year.
So to rank in google you need to have a mobile-friendly website.
People search for your business location, contact details and reviews about your business through their smartphones.
So having a mobile responsive website will help your local customers to find you easily.
7. Keep NAP(Name, Address, Phone Number) Consistent
To get found by your customers easily without any confusion, you have to set up your NAP. NAP stands for Name, Address, Phone Number.
Make it easier for search engines to find who you are, what you do, and how people can find and contact you, you need to keep your NAP details consistent throughout your website and business listing sites like Google My Business, Yelp, Yellow Pages, etc.
8. Build and Optimize Citations
Citations are ranking factors for local SEO. Build new citations to make your website a reliable source of information that people are looking for.
Make sure all the information about your business like name, address, the phone number is consistent.
Adding business descriptions with targeted keywords related to your business will also help in local SEO.
9. Get Relevant Inbound Links From Authoritative Websites
Inbound links from authoritative websites are one of the major ranking factors. It helps to increase your website’s domain authority and boost local SEO ranking.
It’s very difficult to get inbound links. But there are many ways you can get inbound links, some of them are listed below.
- Write insightful and engaging blog posts on your website that are valuable and people love to share it on their websites & social media platforms
- Write guest blog posts for your niche industry.
- Create a case study about your clients
- Create SlideShare presentations.
- Create compelling infographics.
- Create other forms of visual content.
- Send out a press release
10. Engage with the Audience on Social Media
Make business accounts or pages on social media sites. People love to hang out on social media, like, comment and share the stuff that they find great. So more people talk about your product or services more you get searched online.
Create and share content to engage your audience on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. You can also share content on your GMB.
You can also give answers to questions asked by people on sites like Quora. This will not only help people but also help your website to get referral traffic.
Local SEO has become an essential part of the SEO strategy for local businesses. There is no set rule for optimizing your website. But we have to keep following the standard practice that helps websites to rank better.
I have added local SEO steps that can help your website to be found on the top by your prospects when they search online.
So is there anything that I did not mention above for Local SEO Optimization?
Let me know by leaving a comment below right now!