S1E28 – How to grow your podcast audience using SEO and Social Media
To grow your podcast audience, you need to focus on these 6 tips
1. Title of the podcast: Apple iTunes and Google Play give a lot of importance to the title of an episode in their algorithm. Make sure you have done proper keyword research for your episode and use the focus keyword at the start of the title. By using keywords in the episode title, wherever your podcast is distributed, you will gain higher reach on the organic searches happening on that platform.
2. Website: Make sure that you have a website where all podcast episodes are hosted. Each episode needs to have a page on your site. The page needs to be optimized for usage of keywords in title, meta description and content. Most podcast distribution platforms would restrict the number of words / characters in the description of your episode, but there is no such restriction if you publish the episode on your website. You can produce a full transcription of your podcast episode to get SEO benefits.
3. Create a video: You need to create a video from your podcast episode recording and upload it on YouTube. The video can be recorded while you are recording the podcast. Use the relevant keywords in the title, description and tags of the YouTube video so that it gets views / traction.
4. Optimized RSS feed: I have been hosting my podcast on LibSyn. With LibSyn, you get an optimised RSS feed that distributes your podcast across multiple platforms including Apple, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, iHeartRadio, RadioPublic and more.
5. Link building: Your podcast episodes can attract links to your website pages and hence in turn increase the audience subscription base. If you are interviewing guests on your podcast, you are bound to receive links from their websites. Also, if your podcast content is really good, you shall see organic links back to your website.
6. Social media distribution: Apart from the podcast platforms, you need to distribute your podcast on various forums & communities to gain traction. If you share your podcasts on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and other platforms, you will gain recognition & attention of your users.