Getting found with our Website Search Engine Optimization Tips
This post is a part of our “Website Must Haves” series
In our last post, we learned that a business owner must do a lot of thinking before designing a website. Today, we will focus on how can your business be found by its target audience with our Website Search Engine Optimization Tips.
SEO includes on-page optimization (making changes to your website) and off-page optimization (external to your website) techniques. We would be giving out three tips to get you on your way to increasing your organic search engine rankings.
Keyword Usage & Targeting [On-page SEO]
Keywords are what your customers enter as search queries to describe what they are looking for. Ideally, every web page on your site should have a unique targeted keyword, thus distinguishing the page from other pages on your website. Here are some general guidelines of Keyword usage & targeting on web pages:
|Title Tag||Use the keyword in the title tag at least once. Try to keep the keyword as close to the beginning of the title tag as possible. More detail on title tags follows later in this section.|
|H1 Tag||Use keywords once prominently near the top of the page.|
|Body copy||At least 2-3 times, including variations, in the body copy on the page – sometimes a few more if there’s a lot of text content.|
|Image ALT Attribute||At least once in the alt attribute of an image on the page. This not only helps with web search, but also image search, which can occasionally bring valuable traffic.|
|META Description||At least once in the meta description tag. Note that the meta description tag does NOT get used by the engines for rankings, but rather helps to attract clicks by searchers from the results page, as it is the “snippet” of text used by the search engines.|
Keyword usage in URL: When it comes to the URL of the page, make sure you are using the keyword once. Use hyphens to separate words and create static, shorter urls.
Building Inbound Links [Off-page SEO]
Off-Page SEO is about building inbound links, which is essentially getting other high quality websites to link back to you. Search engines call this authority or “link juice.” The more inbound links you have, the more important your site must be, thus the higher you’ll rank. Inbound links is one of the critical ranking factors in Search engine algorithms.
Some tips for building Inbound links:
- Create high-quality, educational or entertaining content: If people like your content, they will naturally want to link to it.
- Submit your website to online directories: One can submit websites to web, social or local directories. Web directories include general or specialized niche listings. Social directories are high authority social profile, whereas local directories add visibility to your business on a local or national level.
- Write guest posts for other blogs. This is a win-win for both parties. People will want extra (quality) content from others and in exchange, it’s a great way to build inbound links.
- Research link building opportunities with other websites, but always check the authority of the websites that you are trying to get links from.
Indexable Content [On-page SEO]
Most of your content must be in HTML text format. The simple reason being that Images, Flash files, Java applets, and other non-text content are often ignored or devalued by search engine spiders.
- Flash or Java plug-in content can be supplemented with text on page.
- Video & Audio content should have an accompanying transcript – This will help Search Engines to index words and phrases relevant to the video.
- Images can be optimized by assigning a textual description to ALT attribute in HTML, thus providing search engines a way to better index images.
Now its your turn to act! If you are looking at Search Engine Optimization for your website, we’d be happy to help. Just fill out this form and we shall get back to you!